The DSG or S-tronic gearbox is a complex system that provides more comfort. Like most parts in a car, the DSG or S-tronic gearbox is also wear-sensitive with a chance of defects. When a DSG or S-tronic gearbox no longer functions properly, complaints occur such as:
The service of Autobedrijf Hong-Paul consists of:
- DSG or S-tronic gearbox is shaking.
- DSG or S-tronic clutch slips
- DSG or S-tronic gearbox makes strange noises
- DSG or S-tronic gearbox vibrates.
- DSG or S-tronic jumps out of gear.
- The reverse of the DSG of S-tronic does not work.
- DSG or S-tronic gearbox only switches in even gears.
- DSG or S-tronic gearbox only switches in odd gears.
- DSG or S-tronic gearbox does not shift beyond 3rd or 4th gear.
- DSG or S-tronic gearbox lingers on 1 gear.
- DSG or S-tronic gearbox shifts rapidly into gear.
- DSG or S-tronic gearbox basic adjustment incomplete.
- DSG or S-tronic gearbox has error code P2711 unlikely switching sequence.
- DSG or S-tronic gearbox humming and vibrating in acceleration during low throttle when engine is cold.
- Replace bearing set.
- Replace the switching forks.
- Gearbox overhaul.
- Replace gear.
- Replace synchro-mesh rings.
- DSG of S-tronic clutch/overhaul.
- DSG of S-tronic software
- S-tronic Doctor
- Doctor S-tronic
- S-tronic Specialist/Doctor
- S-tronic Specialist
DSG (Double Shift Gear) gearbox is one of the best automatic gearboxes available at the moment. The DSG with double clutch combines the sportiness and low fuel consumption of a manual gearbox with the comfort of an automatic gerbox.
A major disadvantage of these automatic gearboxes is that it is not a custom-made product. It has common problems such as vibrations and undesired downshifts on acceleration. Are you therefore looking for a lasting solution? We are happy to solve this problem for you.
Which VAG DSG/S-tronic gearboxes do we adjust?
The DSG or S-tronic gearboxes that we software wise customize include:
- DQ200 7-speed gearbox with dry clutch (also the MQB).
- DQ250 6-speed transmission with wet clutch (also the MQB).
- DQ500 7-speed transmission with wet clutch (also the MQB).
- DL501 7-speed gearbox with electro-hydraulically controlled double clutch.
- DL382 7-speed gearbox with electro-hydraulically controlled double clutch (also the MQB).
- DQ400e 6-speed transmission with wet clutch (also the MQB).
- DQ200e 7-speed gearbox with dry clutch (also the MQB).
- DQ511 10-speed transmission with wet clutch in the future.
- DQ380 7-speed transmission with wet clutch in the future.
DSG or S-tronic 'Stage One' tuning
The basic tuning (stage 1) includes increasing of the torque limiter in the DSG software, along with the increase of the switching pressure. We also remove the "kick down" in manual mode. After all, if the accelerator pedal is pressed down the DSG switches unnecessary back before the car starts finally accelerating. For diesel cars with much torque this is unnecessary, even undesirable, and it is better to remain in the same gear.
Strange enough the DSG gearbox activates the kick down in the original software, even though manual mode is selected. The gearbox will also automatically shift up, even in manual mode, by a fixed speed limiter. By adjusting the DSG software, the gearbox will in manual mode not be upshifting but the engine limiter will be used instead. By adjusting both the kickdown and speed limiter, the car becomes ideal for people who like really raw speed. Now it does not matter anymore if you drive on the track or on the German Autobahn.
But that's not all. We also remove the automatic upshift at maximum RPM. With petrol engines we will increase the maximum RPM and with diesel engines we're just going to lower the maximum RPM. Why? Simple. It is known that the transmission in the original DSG software configuration will upshift at 6.800 rpm. That is no problem for a standard car of course, but models with a larger turbo would like to continue for a while to speed up with much higher RPM’s. If desired, we therefore increase the RPM.
Also with diesel engines, we provide improvement. As everyone knows, with modern diesel engines the gearbox will only shift up between the 4.800 and 5.000 RPM. That's a shame because the maximum power of a diesel engine is around 4.000 RPM. So it is prudent to reduce the maximum RPM for the diesel (except in high gear, of course). This prevents the vehicle is useless pulling in high RPM, but the engine remains better in its optimum operating range. This is not only better for the driving and the driving experience, but can also save
much on fuel.
Problems with the DSG or S-tronic gearbox
- Vibrations when switching
When the car vibrates during acceleration or when switching from 1 to 2 then the DSG gearbox is likely damaged. We can reduce this in the software, fix and prevent it.
If you drive slowly and want to accelerate instantly the car reacts badly. If you give too much throttle so the gearbox downshifts and the car will rocket forward. In most cases this is due to clutch wear. Through software, we can fix this so that the car reacts smoothly.
- Vibrations while under-revving
Many DSG gearboxes have software versions whereby you are already in the 7th gear from about 58 km/h and 1.200 rpm. When you accelerate a bit the engine and gearbox vibrate because of under-revving. We can resolve this problem by adjusting the RPM’s higher.
For many people with a DSG gearbox, the "S" program too exaggerated. The car makes too much engine noise and consumes more fuel because the shift down is too early. We can adapt the “S” program so that it is less intense. After the adjustment, the program is more suitable for city traffic, or to drive sporty.
If the accelerator pedal is pressed the DSG downshifts unnecessary. The gearbox downshifts first before the car accelerates. For diesel cars with much torque it is unnecessary and it is better to remain in the same gear. This is a common problem and we can easily adjust the software for you.
Benefits and the solution with DSG or S-tronic tuning
Each gearbox has various possibilities to optimize the DSG. For instance we can customize the D + S program, adjust RPM’s to your liking and reduce unwanted downshifting.
Remove torque limiter
Improve switching time (± 20 ms)
Increase maximum switching RPM’s
Launch Control RPM adjustment